Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium designer, how to paste without a huge offset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

I've started using altium rather than Eagle at work. Does anyone know what to do about the offset when you paste something? If I copy and paste anything, parts, text, lines, or traces, it often appears far away from my cursor and remains offset. Sometimes it's more than a screen away and I can't get it on screen. I have to drop it, and then scroll over and re-grab it to get it on my cursor so I can place it. I've googled it and can't find the answer.

Thanks!

When you copy something within Altium, it will then ask you for the location of the centre reference.

Select something > Press CRTL-C > Click the centre of the part

You should notice that when you press copy, the cursor will change to have a cross-hair. This is allowing you to choose the reference point or offset you require when you paste it again.

Thanks! I had no idea you had to click on the part again. That explains why the location relative to my mouse seemed so random.

Altium is good but a steep curve, there used to be some really good tutorials on you tube. Not the official ones, I havnt looked in ages to see if they are still there though.

I've mostly been going off of those. They just don't always make all the little details obvious, like that you click copy or ctrl-c THEN select what you want to copy where every other program does select then copy. Often in tutorials they fly over some stuff.

How did you manage to copy it without choosing a center reference? It doesn't let you paste until you've done that.

How did you manage to copy it without choosing a center reference? It doesn't let you paste until you've done that.
I think he means if you select a component on the drawing, you can then press control C, then CTRL V to paste, I didnt read it as pick a component from the lib. But I could be wrong......very wrong. If you pick from the lib then you get the outline from the start? It is where ever your cursor is until you click again. Or maybe we got the cheapo school version with only half the goodies :facepalm:

I think he means if you select a component on the drawing, you can then press control C, then CTRL V to paste, I didnt read it as pick a component from the lib. But I could be wrong......very wrong. If you pick from the lib then you get the outline from the start? It is where ever your cursor is until you click again. Or maybe we got the cheapo school version with only half the goodies :facepalm:
I'm talking about in the PCB editor, when you select text, tracks, etc and hit Ctrl-C, it requires that you select a center reference before pasting.

I'm talking about in the PCB editor, when you select text, tracks, etc and hit Ctrl-C, it requires that you select a center reference before pasting.
Ok sorry Matt, I was erm on another planet then :D. Ok carry on guys, ignore the stupid person with the dog avatar :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back