Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alternative to MOS Technology 6522?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In short, what should I use in place of the 6522 VIA?

The 6522 VIA seems quite expensive at $25 plus shipping. I'm assuming this price is just due to rarity and that this is a legacy part. For 8-bit computer projects that need a 6522 or equivalent, what would a cheap modern alternative be, if any? Using a microcontroller/arduino in a DIY manner is not an option as it defeats the purpose (then I might as well just use the microcontroller as the CPU itself, I'd like a reasonably "real" old 8-bit system). This is just a project for fun and to learn.

In short, what should I use in place of the 6522 VIA?

The 6522 VIA seems quite expensive at $25 plus shipping. I'm assuming this price is just due to rarity and that this is a legacy part. For 8-bit computer projects that need a 6522 or equivalent, what would a cheap modern alternative be, if any? Using a microcontroller/arduino in a DIY manner is not an option as it defeats the purpose (then I might as well just use the microcontroller as the CPU itself, I'd like a reasonably "real" old 8-bit system). This is just a project for fun and to learn.

Could you use an i8255 or better, 82C55. I believe they are more freely available and cheaper.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_8255
ftp://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/intel/MCS80/98-153B_Intel_8080_Microcomputer_Systems_Users_Manual_197509.pdf

spec

Last edited:
A potential solution would be to create a VHDL model of that 6522, and synthesize it to work in a CPLD, but that is probably way overkill.
That is what I do for very old, legacy chips and obsolete hardware.
I went and checked, all the 6522's I had are all long gone. IIRC they were used in Commodore machines?

As for the price tag, you are paying for NOS(new-old-stock) devices. Like I did several years ago when I got my hands on a tube of long discontinued AY-3-8910 chips. Cost an absolute fortune they did, but worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back