Alternate Characters Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
It happened this morning and then just now. I use alt+0xxx frequently for non-keyboard characters, for example alt +o176 = the degree sign. Today when I did that, ETO closes out, and I get to a Google screen. I wondered whether num lock wasn't on, but it was. Same thing also happened with the numbers above the keyboard.

I use: Win7 Pro and Google Chrome. It does seem to work sometimes, as illustrated in this thread: https://www.electro-tech-online.com...xternal-oscillator.145701/page-2#post-1232921 In the first instance, it worked. In the second, the problem occurred and I had to spell out "degrees."

John

Me neither - Vista (current) and FF.

My HP Pavilion, however, has no numeric keypad (and hence, no "Num lock key either). I just use the Ω button symbols option...

Win XP - FF

Alt 0176 gives ° (same as the specific key that also gives º)

Alt 061 gives = (same as the specific key - 0's upper case - that also gives =)

Last edited:
Copy and paste degree symbol from Character Map works, eg. 76°, but Alt 0176 does not. Win 7 Pro and Chrome

Alt sequences have never, ever worked for me. I just go to google and type in "degree symbol" and copy and paste from the results

I have seen older viruses mess up key maps , not like that ever, but is 0-9 working without the alt key?
some keyboards have a button dedicated to launching a home page

EDIT: win7 pro w.firefox = ok, ° // also this only works if you use the numeric keypad

Last edited:
I slap all the unusual characters that are useful on a Word page and copy and paste from that. The Alt xxx thing has never worked for me, even locally

Last edited:
Whatever the problem was, it resolved itself or got solved at ETO. At least the common ones started working within days of that post.

£©Ω and so forth.

John

Good news. Mine is still not working. Mind you, my laptop has no independent numeric pad and also it has a US keyboard which means I have to do three key presses to get some common characters, like £ for example. Meant to get a UK keyboard but too lazy/tight...£30UK.

?
The alternate + keys I was referring to are all 3 or 4 characters in Windows. For example alt+234 = Ω and alt+ 0176 = °

I don't have a clue as to what alt+1 would do. On further research, they seem to give emoji's:☺☻♥

John

I they are talking about NUM lock being on and the keypad numbers and Windows only. I get the same behavior with the keyboard and keypad alt numbers.

But then again ALT by itself (left or right) brings up a linux "type your command box"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…