Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Allied Electronics in US is now Part of RS.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

For The Popcorn

Most Helpful Member
I was surprised to see this email last night:

I don't know how long Allied Electronics has been associated with RS and this is a re-branding or this is a new development. It certainly suggests a re-alignment of Allied's product line. Allied has tended to have a more industrial orientation than Digikey and Mouser; a limited selection of components.

In a related vein, there are a lot of posts here that say something like:

"I've looked EVERYWHERE for the xxxx I need - ebay, Amazon, AliExpress, everywhere - and nobody has any. Those sources may have decent parts, but they're not primary or reliable sources.

Primary sources:
o Digikey
o Mouser
o Newark/Element 14
o RS
o Arrow (sometimes limited selections but often the best prices)
o LCSC (Chinese version of Digikey, with a huge range of both Western and Chinese components)

A couple sources which I consider "stock-up" sources:
o Tayda Electronics (in Thailand, with US warehousing)
o Jameco Electronics

I'm in the US, so I'm sure there will be additions to or arguments with this list.

Interesting. During my career Allied was my go to for all things industrial. When I retired about 10 years ago Allied was still the go-to but newer engineers were also using a few other parts houses. Most brought with them what they were using in school. Purchasing just needed to set up new accounts, not a big deal. The last 25 years of my career was likely 90% Allied for me.

Ron

Allied has been part of RS (formerly Electrocomponents) since 1999, so this is just a name change for them.

And just in case anybody thinks Radio Shack for the RS, that was from around 1970 until 1999.

RS (as far as I know) was never run as Electrocomponents? - originally it was called Radio Spares, then they moved more industrial and renamed as RS Components, and very recently they renamed again as simply RS. Electrocomponents was at one time the head company.

I order from RS on pretty well a daily basis :D

Radio Shack of course was a retail outlet chain in the USA, and had no connection to RS Components.

>
Radio Shack of course was a retail outlet chain in the USA, and had no connection to RS Components.

It slightly adds to the confusion that way back in the dark ages of my youth, Radio Shack and Allied Electronics had some sort of operating agreement. By virtue of being on Radio Shack's mailing list, I received Allied Electronics catalogs and if I recall correctly, you could order Allied Electronics products through Radio Shack.

I was fascinated by all the pages of MS connectors and all the different arrangements possible

I was fascinated by all the pages of MS connectors and all the different arrangements possible
That was a real good section of their printed catalogs. The detail on all the MS connectors and how the part numbers were broken down. I bought endless MS connectors from Allied and that catalog was invaluable. I had forgotten about all of that, good point.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back