Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Aircon flap not working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

starLED

My indoor AC unit flaps, when turning AC on, doesn't want to open fully, but rather it opens up little and then it sounds like the motor is struggling to open it (it clicks couple of times), but flap doesn't move any further.
When it closes, when AC turning off, flaps are closing normally, but since it wasn't open fully, closing position isn't normal but rather moved out of normal position (down opened a bit).
It seems like the flaps motor doesn't work properly in one direction, but works good in other one.
I checked flaps, there are no cracks and it's not broken anywhere.

What can be a problem?

"Clicking" normally means something mechanically jamming and causing the drive to slip, or broken gears.

I'd try operating it by hand, by turning the motor (with power disconnected) - you may be able to see the source of the problem that way.

"Clicking" normally means something mechanically jamming and causing the drive to slip, or broken gears.

I'd try operating it by hand, by turning the motor (with power disconnected) - you may be able to see the source of the problem that way.
I have removed flaps to see if it would "click", it doesn't.
I am not sure how easy (or difficult) is to open the unit to see what's going on inside.

Last edited:
I agree, I didn't do anything yet, it kind a works for now, so I won't do anything if I am not 100% certain what I am doing.

On motor vehicles, one of the reasons vent flaps fail is because folk change their direction without stopping the fan..

I would assume the same on AC units.. The fan blowing against the flap really increases the pressure on the gearing / cables.

On motor vehicles, one of the reasons vent flaps fail is because folk change their direction without stopping the fan..

I would assume the same on AC units.. The fan blowing against the flap really increases the pressure on the gearing / cables.
??? Then why do airconditioning units have a sweep function that moves the flaps left/right/up/down while the fans running and often at high speed?

If that be the case, its not done its job then... If the flap mechanism is not working fully its either bent or worn.. AC in cars now do back the fans off before moving the flaps...

The op mentions that it isn't closing fully... I only offer reasons.. If the motor is worn and not as efficient, this will happen.. A good test would be to slow the fan and check operation..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back