Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AHRS sensor (IMU) for outdoor antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

-=Hulk=-

Hello

I have a high directional 4G outdoor dish antenna, and I wanted to fix it on a Diseqc motor to make it rotate horizontally (~150°) and perhaps also add a small linear actuator to optimize the vertical inclination (+/-20°).

But I wanted also to add an IMU in order to get information about the orientation of the antenna.
A +/-2° accuracy is good enough.
Actually, I only need the geographical orientation (like a compass) and possibly the vertical inclination.

Now I have following questions:

1. Do I need a full AHRS sensor (= accelerometer + gyroscope + magnetometer + fusion algorithm) or a magnetometer is enough? Does the accelerometer/gyroscope/magnetometer data adds accuracy to the calculated geographical heading of the fusion algorithm?

2. Since the antenna will only be able to move (slowly) 150°H and 20°V I won’t be able to calibrate the sensors after every power-up of the device. Is that an issue with such device? Is a one-time calibration (before final mounting) good enough?

3. Is this Chinese AHRS (based on a RM3100 magnetometer, which has 3 external coil antennas) module overkill? Or is a BNO055 good enough for my purposes?

Chinese AHRS (HWT901B-RS485):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002977359131.html
ryulhO6.png

Inside:
6dPqt4Q.jpg

The mag sensor inside:
UcD7DsF.jpg

Alternative, the Bosch BNO055 with integrated fusion algorithm:
BeTyFa8.png

Thank you for your help

If it's a fixed unit, I'd have though you would get far better precision just by using good potentiometers for feedback?

If it is mobile, then you would need 3D angular feedback with such as a good accelerometer, plus a digital compass, as the base being off level would offset the inclination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back