Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice for fellow Noobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob D.

Just to save some hair-pulling using the MPLAB XC8 C Compiler, the interrupt directive is proceeded with a double underline, not a single. The two underlines together look like one wide underline. And of course, like many other compilers, MPLAB was pointing the error at unrelated lines of code. Took me all day to figure this out. Isn't the learning curve fun?

void _interrupt myisr(void) WRONG
void __interrupt myisr(void) RIGHT

Bob D.

They (Microchip) made a big mistake switching to MPLABX - it's very slow and buggy.
Maybe this should be added to this thread.

Mike.

Almost 1Gb of interface - MPLABX - to run the 68Mb XC8 compiler if you want all the edit/debug and other functionality - I definitely call that bloated.

Win 10 Pro on a Dell Optiplex 9020 8Gb mem and 500Gb SSD and MPlabX constantly freezes and or does other weird things during editing and compiling.

No problems, never.
The only things I can say are that I don't use their compilers, I use the CCS ones - and I never (normally) run it on anything less than an 8 core CPU; my present machine is 16 core.

Correction - I did use it on my laptop while at customers site overseas, for a few days last year. A lot slower than my desktop obviously, but no problems (i5 quad core, 16GB RAM).

I wonder if RAM is a problem? It's running in a virtual machine which presumably must exist in RAM to give anything like reasonable performance. If a PC does not have enough RAM and it has to swap out, using virtual memory, that could be like running it in treacle, with pauses for swapping.

Almost 1Gb of interface - MPLABX - to run the 68Mb XC8 compiler if you want all the edit/debug and other functionality - I definitely call that bloated.

Win 10 Pro on a Dell Optiplex 9020 8Gb mem and 500Gb SSD and MPlabX constantly freezes and or does other weird things during editing and compiling.

Perhaps you should sort your computer problems out?, that's certainly not normal or usual.

You might also try looking at other manufacturers similar offerings, which tend to be even more bloated, MPLABX is probably about par for the course?.

Perhaps you should sort your computer problems out?, that's certainly not normal or usual.
Nothing wrong with the computer - freezing is a known problem of MPlabX and is even mentioned in their own help files.

Why are you all still on windoze ?
I've got both and as per Nigel, some of my software has no Linux equivalent and it doesn't run in Wine.

When did IO view get added to X .. ? I must have missed it :cool:
io view.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back