Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advantages...

Status
Not open for further replies.

surjo_dm

Hi,
Can anybody list few advantages of using Infrared rays for proximity detection when compared to using ultrasonic or ultraviolet rays.Please help me, i have no time left...
Surya

surjo_dm said:
Hi,
Can anybody list few advantages of using Infrared rays for proximity detection when compared to using ultrasonic or ultraviolet rays.Please help me, i have no time left...
Surya

It's cheap, and parts are easily available, plus the range is very limited - which is what you want for proximity detection.

It would seem that ultrasonics have to transmit the sound that is to be reflected back - infrared might just "see" the a warmer object without having to transmit.

stevez said:
It would seem that ultrasonics have to transmit the sound that is to be reflected back - infrared might just "see" the a warmer object without having to transmit.

It's done in the same way as ultrasonics, you transmit a 38KHz modulated IR beam and check for the reflection.

advantage/disadvantage

:D hi,

why don't you try both approach and see what suits you. i believe each set up has its own way of placement, so neither can you say the other one is better than the other one or vice versa. also each one has its own limitations. :wink:

The main problem: light speed is 300000km/sec, sound speed only 330m/sec, so the response time of reflected beam enough long for simply PIC or normal CPU for calculating of distance when You use ultrasonic method....

advantage-disadvantage

:D

now thats what you call a nitty gritty response.

hey sebi "MERRY CHRISTMAS"

:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back