Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adjustable electric motor for "Music Box"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinato

Hi,

My 80-year old Mom just gave me a very old German music machine – not actually a music box but it has these LP sized “records” made of tin with hundreds of holes in them. The record moves over a bar with dozens and dozens of little fingers which flick against the holes and it produces beautiful music.

Unfortunately the wind-up spring motor broke long ago so Dad had a buddy install an adjustable electric motor from an old “GI mess-hall” conveyer toaster (one of these 2-foot tall deals I suppose) and the machine worked perfectly for many years. Now the motor has burned out. Dad, for whatever reason, threw out the burned out motor so I can’t get the make or model, or even possibly have it repaired, so I’m now looking around to see if anybody has a smaller sized or medium sized adjustable electric motor I can purchase or has any ideas that might help me out. The entire “music box” is about 15 inches long and wide, and about 10 or 11 inches tall (the part where the motor rests is about 6 or 7 inches tall tops). Fixing this machine so that it will work is a really big deal to my Mom and Dad.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much for your time,

Hi,

try to get the motor of an old turn table or a cassette recorder/player. Adapt for correct speed using the proper transmission ratio. Normally done with a belt drive.

Using a cassette recorder/player use the entire circuitry built in for stable rpm.

Turn tables normally used a synchronous AC-motor (24 - 40VAC) and their rpm is stable by mains frequency.

Boncuk

I would post on a clock forum about the possibility of converting it back to wind-up spring operated. That would be a massive boost to its value as it is definitely a collectable.

Hacking another electric motor into it would be a large reduction to its value, you might want to get a valuation done etc before messing too much with it.

Hi

I would agree with Mr. RB. the Music box or Polyphon of some sorts needs to be looked at in more depth. I have and have had a few types of these disc type music boxes and some are very collectable.

It wouldn't be impossible 'without seeing of course' to put a spring barrel back in and that way as RB. says the value would be retained.

I would be willing to advise you 'within my level of knowledge' to determine if your music box has potential and if it's worth restoring.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back