Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adding electric puller/pusher fan to antique automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vetteman61

Hello everyone,

I greatly appreciate your help ahead of time. I have a 1971 Pontiac station wagon. It has a mechanical cooling fan on it now which is of course attached to the engine. I want to add electric fans to 1) help get a couple extra mpg 2) cure an overheating problem when the air conditioning is on. I have found online that you can get a million ways to do something from automotive forums, but they often aren't the "right" way to do things. I like to do things the best and most correct way and unfortunately wiring things to activate under particular circumstances is something I don't understand, but would like to learn.

I need to have two fans, one behind the radiator/condenser to pull air through the radiator/condenser. This fan should come on like any other automotive fan, when a certain, preset temperature is reached. Another fan will be in front of the radiator/condenser to push air through at all times any time the air conditioner is on.

Here is a picture of the general physical setup just to help with visualizing what I have described

29660267171_0178f67379_b.jpg

Thank you,
Brandon

Welcome to ETO!
I want to add electric fans to 1) help get a couple extra mpg
Adding a fan (as distinct from replacing the original fan) will result in a reduction in mpg, since the engine has to work harder to drive the alternator to power the fan.

Taking the mechanically driven fan off will improve the fuel consumption slightly. An electric fan that can be switched off uses less power in a lot of conditions.

I don't see why you would have two fans like that. A fan in either position will drive air through both the condenser and the radiator. You could have just one fan that comes on when the engine reaches a certain temperature, or the air con is on. You could leave the fan off above a certain speed even with the air con on, as the car moving will drive enough air through the condenser if you are going fast enough.

Most of the aftermarket electric radiator fans can be used as a 'pusher' but they a not as effective in that way of being used. The blades are usually optimized for 'puller' use. When mounted as a 'pusher' they obstruct air flow when not "on". To get the most air flow with the fan you still need a shroud to pull air from the whole radiator core. Like this one from Flex-a-lite.
https://www.flex-a-lite.com/electric-fans/12-inch-lo-profile-s-blade-electric-fan.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back