Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Acoustic guitar amp VS Guitar amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnson777717

Hey folks!
I've been doing some research regarding amplifiers for guitars. I'm in the midst of building a 100W amplifier by Elliot Sound Products. My buddies and I have an acoustic band and were slowly gaining the necessary equipment to run a stage. We're looking for equipment that will retain the most "Acoustic" sound vs having an acounstic sound amplified, which ends up sounding similar to an electric guitar.

The question I have is: What is the difference between a guitar amplifier and an acoustic guitar amplifier, in circuitry? Are there additional filters added? EQ?

I appreciate your input. Have a great one!

Johnson777717 said:
We're looking for equipment that will retain the most "Acoustic" sound vs having an acounstic sound amplified, which ends up sounding similar to an electric guitar.

This doesn't seem to make any sense? - you want to retain the 'most acoustic sound', but want it to sound like an electric guitar?. Or do you not want it to sound like an electric guitar? - it's not very clear.

The question I have is: What is the difference between a guitar amplifier and an acoustic guitar amplifier, in circuitry? Are there additional filters added? EQ?

An electric guitar amplifer picks up signals through a coil, wound around magnets, from the movement of metal strings in the magnetic field - so it's a purely electrical effect. An acoustic guitar uses a microphone to pickup the actual sound of the strings (either metal or nylon), so it's a purely acoustic effect.

As far as amplifiers go, it's a question of amplifying the signal from the particular transducer - a plain amplifier will output what you feed it. However, for electric guitars users often want it to sound 'different', so distortion is commonly added - for acoustic use, it's usually not.

The design you mentioned should be pretty well OK for an acoustic guitar.

guitar amp

:D hi johnson

the guitar amp you mention, the esp design is okay, i built the latest version for my son. i also incorporated the section that would take in the organ and the bass guitar in one board so that i don't have to do adjustments in case my son needs it. happy building :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back