Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ACER LCD Monitor & Set Top Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljcox

I have an ACER LCD Monitor, Model P221W, Version P221Wd Monitor.

It works with my PC, but will not work with the 2 (television) Set Top Boxes I have (different brands).

I have tried both the VGA & DVI inputs.

In both cases, the ACER displays a message saying "Input not supported".

However, the Set Top Boxes work with a Chimei Monitor.

Does anyone know how I can solve this please?

Any advice will be appreciated.

I have an ACER LCD Monitor, Model P221W, Version P221Wd Monitor.

It works with my PC, but will not work with the 2 (television) Set Top Boxes I have (different brands).

I have tried both the VGA & DVI inputs.

In both cases, the ACER displays a message saying "Input not supported".

However, the Set Top Boxes work with a Chimei Monitor.

Does anyone know how I can solve this please?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Buy a TV!.

It's simply that TV signals use different standards to computer monitors, and many computer monitors won't accept TV frame rates - there's only a fairly number of monitors that will.

I'm just curious, how are you making the connection? Do these "set top boxes" actually have VGA and DVI outputs?

I'm just curious, how are you making the connection? Do these "set top boxes" actually have VGA and DVI outputs?

HD boxes usually have HDMI outputs, and these will feed either HDMI or DVI sockets on monitors - assuming the monitor will support the lower frame rate.

I've not seen any UK set-top boxes with VGA out, it would seem pretty pointless.

The monitor should support pretty much any normal frequency. I know you can go DVI out to HDMI in, but it may not work the other way. It could also be an HDCP issue.

Thanks for the replies. A TV would be a simple solution, but it is not suitable in this case.

My office does not have the space for both a TV and the computer monitor.

Nor is there enough wall space for a wall mounted TV.

It seems it must have been just luck that the Chimei monitor can work with the set top boxes.

Unfortunately, it has a small screen so I'm using it with my other computer.

The Bush STB has VGA, CVBS, S-Video, component video & HDMI outputs.

The OLIN STB has the same outputs except for the VGA.

The STB manuals to not indicate whether it is possible to change the V and H frequencies.

So I'll connect them to the Chimei monitor and explore their menus.

If this proves fruitless, I will go to a shop and ask if any of the monitors are able to interface with one of the STBs.

I don't know what the situation is in Australia, but most modern flat-screen (LCD) TVs can also function as a computer monitor. Just look for one with a VGA port to be sure it will work with your computer (assuming your computer doesn't have a real HDMI port). The only drawback to using a TV as a computer monitor is that they usually look terrible at anything but their "native resolution", which on a smaller (less than 40") will probably be 720p (1366x768).

It still seems odd to me that the monitor doesn't work. The most common TV frequencies are the same as the native frequency of your monitor (60 Hz/FPS, the ones ending with p such as 720p 1080p). Possibly, as Nigel suggests, the monitor won't go as low as 30 Hz, which would be one of the lower interlaced settings ending with i such as 480i. Maybe check if the STB has a "Progressive Scan" setting that is turned off, or if it has a setting for a higher refresh/FPS/Hz, such as 120 HZ up that is too high for the monitor.

I checked at Acer and they mention nothing about frequency/FPS/Refresh being a problem, only resolution. They state plain and simply:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: "Input not supported" message

A: When a monitor displays "Input not supported", the display resolution is set too high. To resolve this, change the resolution to a supported resolution of the monitor.

Last edited:
Thanks,
The Vertical frequency is 50 Hz not 30 Hz.

I don't want to us e a TV, I want to retain the monitor as for the vast majority of the time, it will be used as a monitor. It will only be used with the STB on the odd occasion such as when we have visitors.

Nigel wrote "computer monitors generally don't go low enough for TV use, only for computer use" in a post above. So I think this is the most likely explanation, however, I'll see if I can change the resolution tomorrow.

Thanks,
The Vertical frequency is 50 Hz not 30 Hz.

Actually it would be 25Hz not 30Hz, assuming frames per second, and 50Hz not 60Hz assuming fields per second.

I don't want to us e a TV, I want to retain the monitor as for the vast majority of the time, it will be used as a monitor. It will only be used with the STB on the odd occasion such as when we have visitors.

You don't need both, almost all TV's have inputs for VGA (and if not HDMI) for connecting a computer.

Nigel wrote "computer monitors generally don't go low enough for TV use, only for computer use" in a post above. So I think this is the most likely explanation, however, I'll see if I can change the resolution tomorrow.

You can't alter the output from the set-top box, it's part of the boxes design - likewise it's very unlikely you can alter the monitor, as it wasn't designed to do that, and they auto-set anyway.

Choices are use a TV for both, or select a monitor which will go low enough - but it rather kills the idea of using monitors you already have :(

If you were an old Amiga user this exact same scenario was played out decades ago, but on CRT computer monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back