Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

accessing the service menu on my tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

nana304

hi,

i own a sharp 21b-fx5 TV , can any body tell me how to access the service menu of it because it needs some calibration, vertical horizontal positions....etc, once several months ago this menu came up suddenly after a power failure, i was able to make lot of changes to the picture (as if calibrating a pc monitor, all the options were given in it.) can any body help me to get that menu back ...big help.
and do you guys have the service manual of this set?

tnx in advance:)

Try pressing the menu/preset button for more than 2 seconds.
Also worth trying is to press the power on button for more than 2 seconds.

You need the Service Manual that is normally used by technicians. What has happened here is that the sets EEPROM needs to be set up properly again and to do that you need access to the sets Service Mode. My suggestion is take the set to your local TV shop and ask them to do the Service Adjustments for you (normally via the Remote).

It's a straightforward, quick procedure if you know what you are doing.

the problem i have is that the picture is a bit out of the screen in all directions, it happened with age of the TV, and yes i took it to a technician he did a master reset all the settings were restored but the picture remained the same, said he is not able to call the service menu ! doesn't have the required equipment (special remote...etc) for sharp TV models and what he have doesn't work with this model....that's why i came here for Ur help..even the things became worse when he pressed some button on his remote, " model set 09. 08 " kind of a thing shown on the screen and now i have some unknown language on the TV !! he also couldn't get the English language back, coz it keeps changing to model set 2 , 5 8 ,75666 when he uses his remote, doesn't select the English model set >>grrr..

i requested the service manual to see whether it shows how to access the menu....
any help appreciated

Last edited:
Please post a photo of what the screen looks like when the TV is on. That will help me a lot.

TV works as normal, just that the picture is over stretched about 1/2 an inch from top and bottom and 1/4 an inch on sides, menu is in a different language, default tv system is being changed to "M" (after the technician's remote work !), so had to change it to pal B/G manually through the menu( I'm used to the menu though its in a different language)...every thing else is normal.....if u still want a pic, I'll upload one once i go home,...

tnx

Last edited:
Post a clear pic of your working TV screen. You will be surprised what it can tell me.....

.Horizontal phase problems can be picked up
.Vertical linearity problems can be picked up
.Power supply problems can be picked up

Etc, etc, etc.

I will put it this way. It is a hellava lot easier if I physically see what the screen is doing when the TV is on. The very best I can do is a good photo from you right now.

Otherwise I will be guessing. And I don't do guessing.

Last edited:
here are couple of pics, my issue in not visible in these but when u watch a sport eg.. a cricket match u cant see the score coz its covered in the bottom.. when u watch a news channel i cant view the instant news bar which is in the bottom.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    768.4 KB · Views: 507
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    763.2 KB · Views: 416
I had a look at the pictures. There are no visible component issues ie: your TV internally parts wise is fine. As you said originally it needs service adjustments to get the picture's horizontal and vertical geometry correctly set up.

What you now need to do is the following:

1. Look on the back cover of the TV. You will see a Sharp model number there. Write it down.
2. Phone local reputable TV repair shops in your area and ask to speak to a Technician. Ask the Technician if he/she is able to do Service Adjustments on a Sharp TV (fill in Model no).
The Tech will probably ask why. Tell him your story about what happened to your TV.
3. If he says he does not know how to get the set into Service Mode.....ask him if he has saved any EEPROM files for the set.

It's not a stupid question. I make a point of saving EEPROM files for different sets that I repair on my bench. Brings the set more or less back to factory default.
With things in electronics changing so rapidly and customers often loosing/damaging Remote controls Service Mode is not accessable without a Remote.

4. If the Tech has your EEPROM files saved take the TV in and let him program another EEPROM for you. It's quick and easy to replace (only 8 pins) once the TV back cover is off. We charge a minimal fee to do this. Don't let them take you for a ride.

tnx bro ...will try to do that and see, somebody told me by holding menu, vol - and ch + and plugging in the TV and turning it on calls the service menu on there types of models, unfortunately my buttons (ch+ and ch-) on the TV doesn't respond time to time thanks to my cousin sister (only 4 years) keeps pressing those buttons all day, that option is also out, I'm only using the remote .....will try Ur instructions.

I had a look at the pictures. There are no visible component issues ie: your TV internally parts wise is fine. As you said originally it needs service adjustments to get the picture's horizontal and vertical geometry correctly set up.

What you now need to do is the following:

1. Look on the back cover of the TV. You will see a Sharp model number there. Write it down.
2. Phone local reputable TV repair shops in your area and ask to speak to a Technician. Ask the Technician if he/she is able to do Service Adjustments on a Sharp TV (fill in Model no).
The Tech will probably ask why. Tell him your story about what happened to your TV.
3. If he says he does not know how to get the set into Service Mode.....ask him if he has saved any EEPROM files for the set.

It's not a stupid question. I make a point of saving EEPROM files for different sets that I repair on my bench. Brings the set more or less back to factory default.
With things in electronics changing so rapidly and customers often loosing/damaging Remote controls Service Mode is not accessable without a Remote.

4. If the Tech has your EEPROM files saved take the TV in and let him program another EEPROM for you. It's quick and easy to replace (only 8 pins) once the TV back cover is off. We charge a minimal fee to do this. Don't let them take you for a ride.

Any news yet? Please post if you have any.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back