Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC zero crossing detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomas632

Hi Guys,
I am trying to build a zero crossing detector and came across the following two designs...

Zero Crossing Detector - Electronic Circuits-Circuit Diagram-Electronics Projects-Design

Single Supply Zero Crossing Detector | Circuit Diagram

the 1st design looks simpler although a negative supply is required, my question though is if I used a 0V negative reference wouldn't the output just saturate at 0v rather than -Vcc? This is what I am after ideally. Also I am unsure what the diodes are doing, could someone help me out on this one?

with the 2nd design I dont even know where to start, I cannot figure out what sort of configuration the op-amp is in, could someone give me a clue with this?

Thanks for your help

hi,
Use circuit #2, its a comparator with hysteresis.

Hi Eric
Thanks for your response, but could you give some details as to why use circuit 2? What is wrong with using circuit 1 and could you explain some of the theory behind circuit 2?
Thanks

The second circuit has a Schmitt trigger with hysteresis. There is positive feedback to latch the crossing for a small window around zero crossing.

It is usually a good idea to have some amount of positive feedback Schmitt trigger function on comparitors to prevent 'chatter' indecision due to noise at the comparitor threshold crossing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back