Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC to DC regulated power source

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Nichols

I'm building a regulated power source to make some test with a circuit.
I want to get 60 VDC at 2 or 3 Amps. The input is 220 VAC from a wall socket.
I use an AC voltage regulator like this: http://i.suntekstore.com/office_cache/261/14002157/3630000011315196964_14002157_2_image.jpg

to step down 220 Volts AC to 60 Volts AC. The AC regulator is able to carry 3,500 Watts. I've just purchased a bridge rectifier rated at 1000 Volts 50 Amps (KBPC5010). The output will be 60 Volts DC because in the AC voltage regulator I will adjust the output for 60 Volts AC.

My question is how I can know the amperage that is drawing the 60 V DC. I've a multimeter but the maximum amperage is 10 Amps. I think the amperage will be much more than 2 or 3 Amps, So how I could to step down the amps to 2 or 3?

Last edited:
A simple method would be to use a current shunt similar to these units. They come in a variety of current ranges, are inexpensive and easily read with a good accurate DMM.

Ron

A simple method would be to use a current shunt similar to these units. They come in a variety of current ranges, are inexpensive and easily read with a good accurate DMM.

Ron

I've never seen that component. I suposse that it's like a resistor but to step down amperage only.

A friend has just told me that the AC voltage regulator is not useful with the bridge rectifier. The reason he has said to me is the ac regulator only pulsates the AC and it doesn't decrease the wave amplitude (voltage).
Is this right?

Last edited:
I've never seen that component. I suposse that it's like a resistor but to step down amperage only.

A friend has just told me that the AC voltage regulator is not useful with the bridge rectifier. The reason he has said to me is the ac regulator only pulsates the AC and it doesn't decrease the wave amplitude (voltage).
Is this right?
A shunt is a low value resistor. You measure the voltage drop across the resistance to calculate the current through it using ohms law.

Yes, the circuit you show appears to be some type of SCR dimmer circuit which is not isolated from the line.

You need a transformer to reduce the voltage and provide safety isolation from the line voltage.

Well, the other solution would be to use the bridge rectifier directly with the 220 Volt AC from the wall socket.
Then, I can step down 220 DC to 60 DC using... I don't know what, but I think this option can be more simple.

About the amperage... I want to use the 60 DC source as the input to a car's ignition coil. Can I damage the coil if I use high amperage?

Well, the other solution would be to use the bridge rectifier directly with the 220 Volt AC from the wall socket.
Then, I can step down 220 DC to 60 DC using... I don't know what, but I think this option can be more simple.
No, it will be harder. You need a transformer as suggested above.
Can I damage the coil if I use high amperage?
Yes. Although high currents applied very briefly won't hurt the coil (because of its thermal inertia), the average current must be less than the coil's rated maximum.

That image was not added when I replied to your post. While I still suggest using a shunt for DC current you may want to think about what you have been told regarding what you have. If this is a one time test of something I would look for a variac and drive the bridge using it. However, there is no mains isolation as was covered. Even at that you could be looking at a 10 or 20 amp variac depending on your load demand. The ideal situation would be a large 1:1 isolation transformer driven by a variac driving the bridge. That is what I would consider anyway. That affords isolation from mains but again you are looking at a large transformer.

Ron

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back