Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC to DC conductive

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwant2drive

Hello, how do i make water to be conductive on a nail or something? This one site says to get an AC to DC converter then set it up so that a nail is charged in salt water and the nail will get rusted over night. How do i do this without a AC to DC converter? I have a car battery which im sure has SOME juice left in it, and i wanna make some rust (as weird as it may sound :wink: ).

Thanks in advance.

ii know how to get the water conductive, but how do i set it up so the nail in the water gets conductive? one side of the nail has the positive wire, and the other side has the negative wire, all dunked in the salt water that is. a small diagram: Kinda confusing but what it shows is a battery w/ wire connected at opposite sides of the nail.
--------------
l battery l
--------------
(-) (+)
/ \
\ ---nail--l /

i honestly dont think this is a hard question, its just that i dont know much about electricity =/.

It wont pass much current,
not enough to show on a battery charger.
You can tell that its passing current
by tiny bubbles forming slowly on the nails.

I would have thought you could get some rust
in an easier way than this.

this wont be very good rust.

What might make the rust quicker then? and i dont need a battery charger or anything. Just to make the nail conductive and make rust?

I immersed 2 nails in salt water and hooked them up to my DC power supply. I got some serious rust in about an hour. The more salt you add (up to the point where no more will dissolve), the more current will flow, and the faster the rust will form. Just keep in mind that, with a battery, it will discharge rapidly if you use a lot of salt and leave it connected for a long time.
Make sure you don't let the nails touch each other, especially if you are using a supply with no current limiting, like a battery. It might be prudent to put a 100 ohm resistor, capable of dissipating 2 watts, in series with one of the nails unless you can be certain that the nails won't touch.

Just a thought - to speed the process would it make sense to work with filings or other small iron particles?

what was your DC power supply? Because i have 3 car batterys that are "dead" although im sure it has SOME juice left in it. But arent batteries AC? or what? soryr im REALLY inept in electronices and am trying to learn, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back