Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ac rectification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Am a bit confused about rectification. Say I have a 200va centre tapped transformer (i.e. 2 24v outputs). The peak voltage for the output is 1.4 * 24v which is 33.6volts. I thought all rectification does is convert it to dc, however I've been given the impression this is before rectification. Would the voltage be different after rectification? We didn't cover rectification in much detail.

voltage will be about 32v peak once rectified, if you dont put capacitor after rectifier voltage will be about 22.5V rms (some losses in rectifier) the rectifier just transform neagtive part of the wave into a positive wave.

Forgetting rectification for a moment. Whenb we say a transformer has an output of 24 or 48 volts AC with nothing else specified we assume the 24 or 48 volts to be the RMS value of the secondary waveform. In the case of a sine wave we have the RMS value but also the peak and peak to peak values. The RMS value being the DC equivelent. So if I have a transformer with a sine wave 24 vac secondary and I rectify it I will get about 24 vdc (the 24 vac less the diode drop(s) of the rectification). To get the peak value we multiply the RMS * 1.414. If I hang a capacitior out beyond my rectifier that cap will charge to the peak value. Maybe another member could expand on it or better explain it?

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back