Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC power supply for testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

shed_dweller

Hi

I'm new in here and will have lots of silly question to ask.
(nodoubt)

At present i need a variable AC power supply to supply units under test. The normal working range is from 20 to about 300 volts AC. Current is very low. Normally the unit is supplied by two coils connected together within a generator and each of the ends of the coil go to a rectifier within unit.

Searching for AC bench supplies didn't turn up much, except for some very expensive items.

So what I thought I'd use is an isolating tranformer hooked up to a variac and mount these in a nice metal case to form a contained safe unit, run off standard 220 mains. How could I limit the current flow?

Anything I should be aware of or good reason why not to use this? What other alternatives would you suggest for a low current variable ac supply?

This is the circuit I want to test, I have a signal generator to drive the SCR gate.

**broken link removed**

thanks in advance

Last edited:
I've decided to use a 1 amp variac to vary the supply voltage between 0 and 112% of the mains supply with the output from that feed into an isolating transformer with a 100VA rating to give a maximum current of approx .50 amp. I have access to sheet ally and a cutting machine so I will make a case to mount the transformers in and create a nice bench unit. Thanks for all your input.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back