Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC power a Little Gem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaccrocheur

Hi everyone ; A friend of mine offered me a smokey amp. I installed it in a neat small metal box I had lying around ; I'm really impressed with the LM386. I'd really like an option to use it when the battery is dying/dead, or rather, a way to save said battery when AC Power is around. Because let's face it, since I got it I played it a lot, and sometimes it's like a battery a day !

Does anyone know how to wire this ? Insert a PSU (Ideally, existing phone wall wart, here in Africa there are everywhere - were there even 9v-powered phones ? Google won't answer that - Well let's say a regular Boss 9v PSU for clarity's sake) in the power circuit, somewhere between the battery and the rest of the build ? Is this even possible ?

Let's assume you have a 9V DC wall-wart and your amp is happy with a supply of 6V-9V. You haven't said what it needs, or what the battery voltage is, so let's assume the battery is also 9V.
Connect two silicon diodes (1N400x should do) in series. Connect the cathode of the resulting 'combi-diode' to the cathode of another diode and to V+ on the amp. Connect the anode of the single diode to +9V from the wall-wart. Connect the anode of the 'combi-diode' to +9V from the battery. Connect the negative terminals of the wall-wart, the battery and the amp to each other. That's all.
When the wall-wart has AC power its 9V will drive the amp. When it doesn't, the battery will take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back