Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC Overvoltage Protection for SMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerim

I recall I was asked a few years ago to design a circuit which can protect ‘linearly’ a ready-made SMPS (an AC-DC Switching Mode Power Supply rated up to 240V input) from an AC overvoltage up to 400V. The SMPS had to keep working properly while being protected. To my big surprise, the added circuit in series with the SMPS input acted if it were a hi-voltage bipolar zener connected in parallel!

I attached the LTspice files (made in 2020) of the protecting circuit, as they are, ProtSMPS_01.zip.

ProtSMPS_01.png

On the LTspice schematic, the load is just a resistor instead of a SMPS model (which I don’t have). Therefore, the output, V(AC,NTR) on Rload, is not exactly the one seen on a scope when the protecting circuit is connected in series to a real SMPS. And on the SMPS, the voltage will look sinusoidal with a flat top (at the adjusted voltage limit) on both half cycles as if there were a high voltage bipolar zener connected to it in parallel.

I also attached its schematic made with Kicad, as PDF file.

Cheers,

Kerim

Attachments

• ProtSMPS_01.zip
    12.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Y98S_P380V_08_1000V.pdf
    41.7 KB · Views: 167
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back