AC motor repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

This motor was in working condition and pulled from a log splitter once the motor failed. The mode of failure is unknown but the motor would seize on multiple occasions when cutting large logs. This has probably contributed to abnormally high loads. Possibly related to burn marks? There is not supposed to be a centrifugal switch to my knowledge.

I will try to trace out the wiring as suggested.

OK. any idea on voltage or multiple voltages, phase and horsepower? i.e. are we dealing with a dual voltage motor, a 3 phase motor?

That front bearing looks discolored. Any possibility, it's failing? I'd also suspect that the bearing should come off the other way. i.e. the shaft should easily remove from the bearing and the bearing be hard to move from the housing.

When the motor seized, what sort of delay existed before it would work again?

Two common start mechanism is the capacitor or the centrifugal switch.

I see a blue/black unsoldered disconnected place and I also see a twisted area where the windings are put together. There looks like something that could be a thermal.

You asked about wiring and that's something we cannot see in the pics.

The presence of a Capacitor and the two pairs of stator windings point to 2 pole 1ph.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…