Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC motor repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi halleffector,
What is the history of this motor before your first post. (I.E. Did it come from a scrap yard ? Did you remove it from a machine that had just stopped working ?) Can you post a picture of the inside of the connection box on the motor. Just with the cover removed. Do not disconnect any wires. Is there a centrifugal switch on the end plate that has been removed ? (Or on the one still fitted to the motor ?) Can you trace out the wiring of the windings as it is not easy to do just from pictures as some wires are hidden by wires in front of them. There should be four ends of the enameled wire of the windings. Can you mark them in some way to identify them and take resistance measurements and post the readings. (I think that will result in six readings.)

Les.

This motor was in working condition and pulled from a log splitter once the motor failed. The mode of failure is unknown but the motor would seize on multiple occasions when cutting large logs. This has probably contributed to abnormally high loads. Possibly related to burn marks? There is not supposed to be a centrifugal switch to my knowledge.

I will try to trace out the wiring as suggested.

OK. any idea on voltage or multiple voltages, phase and horsepower? i.e. are we dealing with a dual voltage motor, a 3 phase motor?

That front bearing looks discolored. Any possibility, it's failing? I'd also suspect that the bearing should come off the other way. i.e. the shaft should easily remove from the bearing and the bearing be hard to move from the housing.

When the motor seized, what sort of delay existed before it would work again?

Two common start mechanism is the capacitor or the centrifugal switch.

I see a blue/black unsoldered disconnected place and I also see a twisted area where the windings are put together. There looks like something that could be a thermal.

You asked about wiring and that's something we cannot see in the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back