Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC current detection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much further then original post wants, but if anyone is looking for the best AC/DC accuracy the hall effect closed loop sensors are best. The Allegro hall effect sensors are open loop type.

The closed loop hall effect sensors have a feedback amp/coil that always drives the field in the torroid core to near zero so there is little variance due to nonlinearity of ferrite core material.

Attachments

• CLSM-50.pdf
    1,013.1 KB · Views: 474
I don’t see you soldering #12 wire to an 8-soic. (see picture of ACS712)

The circuit using an ACS712 was just a suggestion. Solder pads must of course be adapted for the required wire size. (If necessary the mains carrying traces might also be widened (presently 1.016mm))

At 220VAC, 4A and 30deg/C the voltage drop is 10.6mV (1 oz copper layer). At a trace width of 1.27mm the voltage drop is 8.5mV.

Boncuk

The circuit using an ACS712 was just a suggestion. Solder pads must of course be adapted for the required wire size. (If necessary the mains carrying traces might also be widened (presently 1.016mm))

At 220VAC, 4A and 30deg/C the voltage drop is 10.6mV (1 oz copper layer). At a trace width of 1.27mm the voltage drop is 8.5mV.

Boncuk

If you are using the one i suggested....you dont need to put in pcb,.....it can be hooked up on the load line itself....

What kind of load you are going to drive? KMoffet circuit has diode in series to the load....
Actually I had several diodes in series with the load...in anti-parallel...so it does work with AC. ;)

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back