Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ac and dc with one light switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wastedfun

Okay, so thanks to MrAl's awesome schematics for an emergency dc voltage switch i have made a simple turn on switch for a dc current to power an led light.

Basicly when the ac fails, the dc power pack that is connected to a charging port when powered, kicks in and powers an LED light. A simple emergency light, nothing new.

The twist for me is that i want to hook up a low powered LED lamp on a table that is powered by this pack and hooked up to a lightswitch. The same switch that controls a regular ac bulb. So when the power goes out, i can walk into the room and turn the lightswitch on and control the led lamp instead.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
WF

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
Possible, sure.

Recommended, no! Serious safety, liability, code violation possibilities, here.

Last edited:
It is contrary to some national wiring regulations to have mains voltage and low voltage circuits in the same enclosure without adequate isolation. In the UK, at least, using the two poles of a single double-pole switch to operate both types would be a no-no.

Not without violating a building/electrical code, and opening yourself up to the liability of being responsible for killing someone, or burning your house down (insurance would have a way of weaseling out of paying).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back