Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC ammeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

I am about to build an ac ammeter, i was reading that the best way to do this is to use a Rogowski coil and feed it in to a in integrator, and from there to my PICuC, (the value out from the integrator is dcv right)?

would this work?

btw, the word integrator sounds like it can add 2 signals, is that possible(AC i presume)?

In this case the term integrator means low pass filter. The output will still be ac.

http://www.dynamp.com/dynamp/ldadocum.nsf/c2270fbdd892ac3e86256e75000ad88a/e710af6d3e0f6255862565d7004b19db/$FILE/Report.pdf

so I would rectify it, then to the pic?

is there a better circuit I should use>?

How much current? What frequency?

Last edited:
Hi doggy,

check out Allegro-micro for current sensors.

There are bipolar sensors in the assortment which can measure AC and put out DC-voltage depending on the current range to measure.

Boncuk

120v mains... up to 20amp should suffice,, although i want to measure phantom power from electronics as well, im thinking mostly about reading a typical power bar.

Hi doggy,

if the prophet won't come to the mountain the mountain will come to the prophet. :)

Here is the data sheet of the Allegro-micro ACS758. It has an internal resistance of 100µΩ and the bidirectional version measures ±50A with an almost linear output voltage of 40mV/A.

That should be easy to use.

Boncuk

Attachments

• ACS758.pdf
    629.1 KB · Views: 197
TY very much, Boncuk, I tried to climb that mountain, but I found it hard to read the data sheets, I looked up that part number @digikey and they have it, could you just confirm that I have selected the right one, since that number I punched in got me several results:

Digi-Key - 620-1322-ND (Manufacturer - ACS758KCB-150B-PFF-T)

and this puts out a DC voltage, relative to the ac current in?, this chip looks like it supports 240v too(not req'd thou)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back