About 8051 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palmiro

Hello!

Could I ask for some clarification regarding the way it is possible to program the 8051 family, specifically the AT89C51 and the AT89S51?

I think I've (not for the first time) confused myself!

Here is what I understand:

All the modern AT89x5x uC are Flash based but that doesn't mean they are all programmed the same way -

==========================================

AT89C51 - require high voltage (12v) programming via a parallel process, which can be through a pre-programmed device or via a parallel port on a PC.

For eg **broken link removed**

This board that uses a serial port which is a requirement in my case.

I ask clarification because the AT89c51 fact sheet mentions 5v marking on certain chips but doesn't go into any details about programming!

------------------------------------------------------

AT89S51 - can be programmed using simple (low-voltage) in-circuit programmers or traditional (12v) programmers

An example of this would be **broken link removed**
The only problem I have with this is that it is parallel port based which I don't have on my machine - is there a serial port or even USB equivalent?

==========================================

So is that it? C types require a 12v programming while S types can employ either?

You would probably get your best answers by getting the entire data sheets. Do you have a bandwidth problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…