Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About 8051 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palmiro

Hello!

Could I ask for some clarification regarding the way it is possible to program the 8051 family, specifically the AT89C51 and the AT89S51?

I think I've (not for the first time) confused myself!

Here is what I understand:

All the modern AT89x5x uC are Flash based but that doesn't mean they are all programmed the same way -

==========================================

AT89C51 - require high voltage (12v) programming via a parallel process, which can be through a pre-programmed device or via a parallel port on a PC.

For eg **broken link removed**

This board that uses a serial port which is a requirement in my case.

I ask clarification because the AT89c51 fact sheet mentions 5v marking on certain chips but doesn't go into any details about programming!

------------------------------------------------------

AT89S51 - can be programmed using simple (low-voltage) in-circuit programmers or traditional (12v) programmers

An example of this would be **broken link removed**
The only problem I have with this is that it is parallel port based which I don't have on my machine - is there a serial port or even USB equivalent?

==========================================

So is that it? C types require a 12v programming while S types can employ either?

You would probably get your best answers by getting the entire data sheets. Do you have a bandwidth problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back