Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AAA batteries surgically extracted from a 9V.. ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog

:eek:

With a needlenose pliers, gently peel away the metal cover of the 9 volt battery. It should separate along the seam without much effort. Be careful though, because the metal edges can be sharp!

http://www.axecollector.com/aaa.html

Never heard of that. But I have seen pictures where the 9V mini-cells were flat thing stacked up vertically inside the 9V casing, so probably not all 9V batteries are made from 6 AAA.

I vaguely remember the old 7 cell "8.4V" NiCd batteries being of the stacked type, but I'd guess that most alkaline cells look like this. No idea about the "9V lithium" ones though.

Read the article. They are tiny AAAA cells with half the capacity and nearly half the weight of AAA cells. They flop around in an AAA flashlight.

Energizer's "9V" Ni-MH battery has six 1.2V AAAA cells for 7.2V. Its capacity is next to nothing.

Attachments

• 9V battery.PNG
    9V battery.PNG
    57.1 KB · Views: 171
Wow, I never knew thats how the 9v worked. I just tried it with an Energizer. Mine lacks that foil tape that is connecting the ends in the Duracell though.

I was surprised when I opened a one of those big honkin' 6v lantern batterys a while ago. I peeled the metal case off to find 4 "D" cells. They even have the classic duracell wrapper on them. The whole square case thing is a big waste I guess.

Attachments

• 9v.jpg
    9v.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 212
Look inside a big Energizer D size Ni-MH rechargable cell. I think there is only a little AA cell in there, because it has the same capacity as an AA cell.

They charge twice the price for the extra magic air in there.
Remember when D cells were heavy??

The extra capacity comes at a price...
High capacity NiMH's deteriorate FAST compared to 'normal' ones. It's the Anode/cathode surface area and it's thinness that leads to the extra capacity.

The capacity can be held in proportion in some aspect to the ability of the cell to discharge/charge it's current and it's longevity.

Andy, those "big honkin' 6v lantern batteries" in the carbon-zinc days contained four "F" cells. "F" cells are about "D" cell diameter and twice the length for a proportional increase in current/power. I've a feeling that you opened up a substandard lantern battery. The expensive alkaline lantern batteries feel heavy enough to contain "F" cells.

This brings to mind the cheating that goes on in the rechargeable industry when you compare NiCd batteries. If the "D" version has the same current output as the "C" version, you have a problem, for they have a "C" cell in a "D" case and trick you into thinking that you're going to get "D" performance.

Dean

Dean Huster said:
I've a feeling that you opened up a substandard lantern battery.

Possibly, but it was a Duracell "Industrial" battery. The reason I got it was because the commercial supply company I was working for at the time got it in with one of the spring posts on the top missing and were going to throw it away. I saved it because I thought I could fix it, but on closer inspection, all it is was 4 "D" cells just like you would go buy at wal-mart. I put them in my maglite.

audioguru said:
Look inside a big Energizer D size Ni-MH rechargable cell. I think there is only a little AA cell in there, because it has the same capacity as an AA cell.
That must vary depending on where you buy them, I remember when a Nicad Uniross D cell fell apart to reveeal a C cell.

audioguru said:
They charge twice the price for the extra magic air in there.
Yes, it's stupid I know.

Remember when D cells were heavy??
Dry cells still are aren't they?

I've heard somewhere that's it's possible to recharge dry cells; has anyone here tried this?

Energizer hasn't made a Ni-Cad for years. Cadmium is very toxic and is a hazzard to the environment. It is all Ni-MH now.

If an alkaline battery is not used much then you can charge its capacitance and it lasts an hour if you don't use it before it returns to being "nearly new".

There was a commercial product on the market years ago that advertised being able to recharge alakaline cells up to 10 times (with a loss of capacity at each charge) and it's still possible. You just have to use a substantially lower charge rate than you'd normally use on a normal rechargeable, otherwise they're likley to go up in flames. The only reason I can think it's not still being sold is it's too easy to burst the cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back