Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A way to do this electronically ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcwilliams

New to the forums, so howdy yall.

Being an avid PC flight sim enthusiast, a somewhat technically inclined person, and with some electronics training MANY years ago in radio and television repair (tube type TVs). I have only recently decided to try something I have been wanting to try for a while.

My HOTAS system, a Saitek X45, has recently started malfunctioning. I know what the problem is, a cable with some worn wires that goes between the throttle and stick. I could go out and buy a DB15 d-sub gameport connector, cut the cable and make the repair.

But I am also one of those "While I have it taken apart I may as well try to make it better " types. :D, yeah, like there arent any of those around here.

Anyway, I have been watching for a while, other people custominzing controllers, and even building VERY elaborate simpits. I have neither the time, or resources, or really even the desire to undertake some of the more elaborate things I have seen, I do suffer from the "While I have it apart .... " thing.

Here is my idea, problem, project, delima.

For a little more clarity, I am including an image/ schematic of the internals of the electronics inside the throttle.

wire.jpg
The connections out the top more or less head out to the stick portion of the HOTAS. The connections along the bottom are to be connected to a micro- controller sold on the internet for use in other projects. I wont be using that device.

One more piece of info before I get to my question. I have been using custom drivers for the device, with a scripting language to make and load specific profiles.

Now with the scripts, I am able to use the mode switch, which is a single device, a 3 positions switch, to make every button, switch, POV hat, and axis, perform completely different functions in each of the 3 modes (designated as mode 1- mode 2- mode 3 in the image).

What I am wanting to do, is to build a board (panel ) and divide it into 3 different zones. I will call the NAV, AA, and AG.

I want to, instead of having one button do three different things, I want to have 3 different physical buttons, one in each zone, and then have it set up so that when I change the mode switch, it will move the connections or active buttons to one of the 3 different zones.

I am doubtful that the small mode switch will be sufficient enough to do this all by itself, but rewiring a bigger stronger switch in its place in the circuit is not a problem.

I do know how I could do it mechanically by physically wiring all the different mode zones and using a mechanincal device, but it would end up a rather large, unwieldly and crude device.

I thought that I might be able to do it with a set of relays and
and some sort of solenoids to make a mechanical/ electrical switching device as well.

Then I thought, that there are a lot of more experienced, and smarter people than me out there. (HERE)

Can anyone think of a way, that I could divert the signal, data, current from one zone of the 3 to another, using electronics ?

One last note, I dont have to have all of the buttons, switches, axis moved. Although that would be nice, but any help or ideas to help me get started would be much appreciated.

I would fall back on my TV repair training, but for the love of me I cant think of any way to get vaccume tubes to do this. :D

Sorry for the length of this, especially since I am not sure that I have been completely clear. Hopefully someone will understand, and be one of those smarter and more experienced types I already mentioned.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back