A Simple Power Supply Project

For The Popcorn

Most Helpful Member
I've posted a number of times about the somewhat amazing XBox power supplies. These bricks can often be found at thrift stores for less than 10 bucks, and supply 5 volts at 1 amp and 12 volts at up to 16 amps depending on the version. The 5 volt supply is always on, and the 12 volt supply is switched on by connecting a line to +5v.

I had decided to make a panel to attach to the shelf over my bench. Sometimes I need a high-current 12 volt supply, more than my lab supply can provide. I cut an acrylic panel with a switch and two pairs of binding posts, but then I decided on a further improvement - adding one of the DC-DC converter modules which I have also talked about here before. A 5v/12v/adjustable output with voltage and current displayed, compact and out-of-the-way, always close at hand. A project for my next trip to the makerspace.

I've done similar for 350W & 500W PC PSU's and converted universal 85W, 19.5V laptop chargers to be adjustable 3~24V as they have remote sensing with 3 wires to the barrel plug for lossy flex cables and regulated output.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…