Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A quick spiel: Dangerous unfused MAS830 multimeter clones and how to add fuses in easily

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect your opinion but I specify in detail (for ISO audit trails on critical life-safety manufacturing) and buy equipment for professional 24/7 use and I've never and I mean never had a problem with Fluke quality or service. Maybe I'm just lucky.:angelic:

Try buying just a "battery door" for a network toner. Oops. That would be "Fluke Networks". They wanted me to send it in at the full repair price.

I was bit intrigued to see a ceramic fuse being used for the low current range, but a bit of googling indicates that they are likely "high rupture current" (HRC) fuses, which won't shatter explosively even if they get massively overloaded.

As TV engineer I've always found ceramic fuses utterly crap :D

They commonly blow for no reason at all, and replacing with a glass fuse provides a permanent cure.

Most TV's used to come with glass fuses, but occasional models used ceramic instead, and these were always troublesome.

As TV engineer I've always found ceramic fuses utterly crap :D

They commonly blow for no reason at all, and replacing with a glass fuse provides a permanent cure.

Most TV's used to come with glass fuses, but occasional models used ceramic instead, and these were always troublesome.

Yeah, Ive seen problems with ceramic fuses, and often found that the metal caps became loose thus putting a strain on the fuse element.

But there are safety aspects to consider with fuses: https://electronics.stackexchange.c...rences-between-ceramic-and-glass-cartridge-fu

spec

Last edited:

None of that really applies to a fuse in a TV, and to be fair actually applies to very little in practice.

Interestingly fuses in microwave ovens are normally ceramic, and I've seen far more of those disintegrate spectacularly than you ever see glass fuses doing so.

In any case, a good lightning strike nearby makes the point rather meaningless, as it's common for the fuse, fuseholder, and large pieces of PCB to disappear completely :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back