Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A question about copper clads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostrafus

Aiight, from what I can find out, the guts of a PCB is made of ceramic/glass, so if I wanted to cut it to size, could I use a tungstun/carbide cutting blade on a dremel to do the job right.

Ceramic / glass is found only in the very best of PCB's. You would need a diamond blade for these.
Most PCB's are made of fibreglass, those usually have a greenish or blueish looking base material. The fibre texture can be seen by carefully looking at the cut edge.
You should use a tungsten tipped blade to cut them and a solid tungsten drill for the holes.

The very cheapest boards have a phenolic paper base, those have a brownish colour and they smell funny when you cut them. I've cut them with a fret saw by hand and used HSS drills for the holes. For motorised cutting you need something that can cope with cutting the copper foil, the phenolic base cuts like hard wood.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back