Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A Noob needs help please, be much appreciated....Thanks in advance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLMagic

Ok trying to get head round Arduino world. Trying to learn and digest, something alien, we all been there, hence your time and patience is much appreciated.
Ok needing to create a magic prop, already done one using 2 433mhz channel transmitter receiver. Now opened new doors with arduino.
Love some help on schematics. Needing to use an transmitter to ir, to kick start the Uno, depending on the timing in the sketch program, 2 motors and 2 led diodes will function. Have gathered basic knowledge to connect one motor, but then after total stuck on adding multiples.
In the attached is just a simple motor connection.(sorry for crude drawing)

Attachments

• basic1m.png
    basic1m.png
    649.9 KB · Views: 270
On the Uno, pins 3,5,6,9,10 & 11 are all PWM capable .. so you could repeat your motor circuit - as per your schematic up to 6 times. What will be a little more troublesome is the program sketch to operate it.
However, I presume you've downloaded the Arduino IDE; Open your IDE - then Sketch - then Include Include Library - then Manage Library; If you type in what your looking for ie PWM, a series of options should appear for download; Once downloaded there are a number of example sketch programs which you can adapt for your needs. The same would apply for Infra Red .. ..

Hope that helps

MM

WOW thank you for the prompt reply, appreciated. Ha the sketch, just got head round this part after 2 weeks :), 1 step at a time :)Know there is plenty out there adding led diode to an uno, will follow that. Like wise adding a ir with transmitter?? so 1 press of button will activate all whats in the sketch.
Regards

Well, up front, I'm no expert - I was where you are about 2 years ago !

The one step at a time idea is good.
It would probably help to know a bit more of what you're trying to do .. ..

Needing to use an transmitter to ir, to kick start the Uno, depending on the timing in the sketch program, 2 motors and 2 led diodes will function.

That's one short sentence, but quite an undertaking on an Arduino;
For example the IR transmitter - such as a TV Remote - transmits a code which you'll need to teach the Arduino to recognise and then react to;
Then if the correct code 'kick starts' the Arduino, what 'kick stops' it ?

MM

HA sorry, as say, been on this for a while now, as no electronic experience, so like to apologise. Initially used a 2 channel 433mhz transmitter and receiver, ok for one or 2 projects, but the relays bit bulky, se ended up d[pending more weeks, then settled with 4 channel receiver, using mosfets diodes and resistors. Works pretty well. As mentioned this is for a magic prop so pressing buttons discreetly can be a chew on. Then stupidly i came across andrino world :) Though then have more functionality and more hands free. Opened doors for more ideas. Just when know something can be done, like a dog with a bone wont give up on it :) Ok kick starting the uno, these are drawing board ideas, suppose could add a tilt, reed switch or similar.
Again thank you for your time and patience appreciated...

HA sorry, as say, been on this for a while now, as no electronic experience, so like to apologise.

No need to apologise - I'm just completing a shoot 'em game for my grandson that I started in January !!

OK playing Devil's Advocate for a minute .. .. .. ..

' .. pressing buttons discreetly .. .. . IR will require a reasonable line of sight and I've no idea what stage lights might do to it !?

maybe, the 4 channel transmit & receive linked to a UNO might be a better option ??

Question - what do the motors do ? Do you need to vary the speed ??

MM

Ha, appreciate cant give much away on public forum. There`s a few been made but long lost, or very expensive. Spent a few months studying an watching. Have made one which is actually better than the original :) Now with the ideas on the UNO, was looking round few local charity shops for certain items. Came across 2 just had a brain meltdown what could be done and not created before. Also what im doing is not for profits, but self entertainment. I am referring to motors as something else, again sorry appreciate cant give too much away. But they work on a momentary on of say second each time 3 or 4 times, then stop, As with LED diode, will switch on for say 5 secs, flicker, turn on full then off. Know this seems easy enough to set delays and such in the sketch? Regarding the IR, its less than a 2 feet away, during performance. so no issues in interference for other sources. Think implementing a reed or tilt may be better option. Again thank you for the interest and reply.

Assuming this needs to be discrete, a UNO might not be the best solution as they are fairly big. A Nano may be a better fit. For driving "motors" Pololu have a variety of motor drive boards and some even smaller 32U4 based Arduino boards.

Mike.

Hey much appreciated, just going by what read, uno easiest for beginners lol. Will have a check on nano, smaller the better. Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back