Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A new request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan76

I would like some help or recomendation on how to get started on a circuit that interfaces with my computer. I just want to see how to connect a circuit to my comp via usb, serial or whatever. I would like to be able to make a simple toggle switch or button that my Windows Xp will recognize. :)

The hard part there is the software. You could do something as simple as shorting out the CTS signal on a serial port. Gotta have software that knows what that means and does something appropriate.

Sceadwian said:
The hard part there is the software. You could do something as simple as shorting out the CTS signal on a serial port. Gotta have software that knows what that means and does something appropriate.

Whats the common thing to do? Write your own code?

I thought the Windows XP game controler software would auto detect it like it does other controlers...
It'll only detect it if you emulate some existing hardware. Otherwise you'll just get the "I can't find the proper driver, let me search for the wrong one for you" message.... ;)

Is this a microcontroler type of problem
It definately is if you are intending on using a USB port.
For legacy stuff, like the old game port which used a DB15 connector, just some resistors were required to have a standard JoyStick detected. But beyond that, you'll have to write some code to interact with your non-standard device. I would start with something that uses the parallel or serial ports. This will be 1000x easier than attempting anything with the USB port.

Sounds good. My objective is to add just a few buttons or switches that windows will detect. I will start reading up on how to do this. I run alot of racing and flight sims and would like to create an ignition system for my cars. Something along the lines of a 2-3 button panel that windows will detect, this way I can program things like starting the engine with a press of the button on my panel and not be forced to search the keyboard for the correct button. :confused:

Something along the lines of a 2-3 button panel that windows will detect, this way I can program things like starting the engine with a press of the button on my panel and not be forced to search the keyboard for the correct button
Hmmmm... Might work. There could be the issue that the game you are running will want to use your "joystick resistors" for steering as well. It depends on the game and how versitile the keymapping features of it are. The easy test would be to borrow an old analog joystick from a friend and test this theory first before building something.
By the way thanks alot for your guidance kchriste
No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back