Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A dumb inductor gestion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone Electro

Do you need special wire for macing inductors?

Exsample:

13 thurns of 22 gauge isolated wire orund...

What is 22 gauge isolated wire?

inductor question

I think isolated means insulated. It depends on the frequecy that the inductor is being used at. Most inductors are wound with magnet wire, which is solid copper wire with some form of enamel on the wire for insulation. At low RF frequencies Litz wire is used. It consists of very small diameter(large guage number)with many strands in parallel. This helps reduce the self capacitance of the coil. I have used solid hookup wire with insulation, and have used buss bare wire for other applications.
There are times when silver plated wire is used.

Re: inductor question

k7elp60 said:
I think isolated means insulated. It depends on the frequecy that the inductor is being used at. Most inductors are wound with magnet wire, which is solid copper wire with some form of enamel on the wire for insulation. At low RF frequencies Litz wire is used. It consists of very small diameter(large guage number)with many strands in parallel. This helps reduce the self capacitance of the coil. I have used solid hookup wire with insulation, and have used buss bare wire for other applications.
There are times when silver plated wire is used.
I can't see how Litz wire can reduce self-capacitance. Litz wire reduces skin effect resistance. This allows inductors to be made with significantly higher "Q" than is possible with single-strand wire. See **broken link removed**.

Well the guage of the wire will bemthe thickness of the wire. 22 sounds like it is in the American Wire Guage format

I found this site when I first had to use AWG (and all our stuff is in metric)
I have printed this off and stuck it behind our cable rack so all can check when needed

**broken link removed**

This isolated remark??? Do you mean insulated.
And finally what are you using as a former?

inductor qurestion

Ron H is correct. The statement I made about Litz wire is incorrect.
"This helps reduce the self capacitance of the coil". I should have said it
increases the "Q"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back