Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A dog tracker...

Status
Not open for further replies.

_4nickando

hi! my dog last week got loose and run away...
so i wanted to build a tracker, but the one i've seen here, laks autonomy...
i wanted it do be attached to the neckless, and to ahve a short but, very diferenciable signal, "pinging" every second, and with at least a mile of range.
it could be AM or FM, or other, and then i wanted to build 2 receivers so i could triangulate the signal.
is it possible?
Thanks!

I'm not too clued up on RF stuff - but I believe you have a similar idea to something that is known in the radio world as "Fox Hunting". That is, finding a hidden radio beacon.

However, I don't think that they normally triangulate - but they use directional antennas.

Can anybody fill in more info?

well, i've never thought about directional antenas, and perhaps, it's even better!
do you know where can i find more information and even schemes about it?
Thanks!

Search www.google.com for "Directional antenna" and the result:
"Results 1 - 10 of about 127,000. Search took 0.09 seconds"
I love google :p It has answer for every :?:

Dog finder help

I recently got a dog from the kennel and for $20 they put a tracer in the dog in case it gets lost. The tracer has the owner, address, and phone number all embedded. Have you checked this out?

well from what i know it is just a microchip that contains this data, it can not be traced and so you can find the dog.
it is in case someone finds your dog.

Yes, we have the same system in Australia - all new cats and dogs have to be microchipped. It makes tracing an animal's owner much easier :D

like you say, with the microchip you can track the owner, but not the animal. i mean that you cannot use microchip and find the animal like a gps adn see where it is in space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back