a basic exam question about bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

timjon1

I was just going over some old exam questions for my exam on Monday (Measurement and fault finding class) and came across this:

What would a practitioner mean by B/W?

Now I'm thinking I'll just use the general definition for Bandwidth so something along the lines of:

the difference between the upper and lower cutoff frequencies of an electronic circuit/device.

But the problem is the question just before it asks "Define Bandwidth". Now since there is most likely a bunch of so called "practitioners" in these forums I'd be interested to know what you think. Since I dont really know what to say and cant just write the same answer again.

Thanks in advance.

Could it be they just want you to know that B/W is an abbreviation for BandWidth? Seems too simple, but there's no context to the question.

And what's a practitioner? Last time I checked, people that dealt with bandwidth the most were called engineers.

Last edited:
yeah, the lecturer for this class always produces vague questions, like in my last assignment there was a question "what must a technician have before he can fix a fault" how vague can you get.

a pair of hands
a brain

I didnt write that, but you get the idea.

Bandwidth is "BW", not "B/W".
"B/W" is used in reference to black and white TV as in "This is a B/W TV."
"B/W" is often used to describe a black insulated wire with a white stripe.
"B/W" can be used to refer to a pair of wires, one black and one white.

This answer must be correct because I am a practitioner, and this is "what I meant" and that is what the question asked.
You can print this and show it to your instructor.

Last edited:

Yah, well, hands and a brain are expected to be included in the word "technician". A technician must have:

1 Knowledge that the fault exists.
2 Knowledge of location of the fault.
3 The responsibility or made his responsibility to correct the fault.
4 The knowledge, education and ability to investigate and troubleshoot as necessary in order to find a solution.
5 The necessary tools c/w power source if necessary.
6 Any necessary parts.
7 The time necessary to do this job.

I included #4, "knowledge, education and ability" because these are not always included in the word "technician".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…