Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

97 Days to go....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless1

SEACOM

Yayy soon we will have cheap and fast internet access too :p

I've been following the progress of Seacom laying this undersea cable, and its good to see that they are progressing well. This will supply the "whole of Africa" with cheap and fast bandwith

SEACOM

Yayy soon we will have cheap and fast internet access too :p

I've been following the progress of Seacom laying this undersea cable, and its good to see that they are progressing well. This will supply the "whole of Africa" with cheap and fast bandwith

Now what 's your maximum connection speed?

errr I went onto speedtest.net and got this:**broken link removed**That right?....I'm in Johannesburg.

Very strange.

Normally the download speed is about double the upload speed. Your test shows upload faster than download.

Maybe the server is hooked up the wrong way. :D

Boncuk

It's probably locally limited Boncuk. If they have limited broadband capability they're going to cap the down speed. Our local cable company offers four tiers. I get about 1.2meg down. That ping is absolutely dreadful though, might be some form of DSL, I've always had latency issues with DSL, that's why I went back to cable. A ping from NY to California is 20-50ms

Last edited:
Interesting site.
I checked mine to several differerent servers and I have anywhere from 1.5 meg to 4.1 meg download. Unfortunatly my outgoing is limited by my brothers server so that I dont plug up the connection so I am getting a steady .6 meg outgoing.
Ping runs anywhere from 350 to 1750. But I am jumping through a home router, a 3/4 mile wireless link to a home built relay station, then a second wireless link, another router, then to my brothers server. All before I get to an actual phone line.

Wireless radio links have horrible latency, and you're stacking =\ Just be glad you don't play video games online =) Your internet connection setup reminds me of your Rube Goldburg signature =) Then again if it works... =)

It was my only option to get high speed, Plus its free!
Plus it was a good intellectual challenge for the two of use to experiment with!

I think gaming is a total waste of time myself. Its just not my thing.

But I do have a confirmed wireless link to his place that runs at around 70 to 80 meg! We share movies and music archive access. :p:)
On my brothers side of the road they can have high speed access. (5 meg and some days better on average, I think) On my side I can only have the next speed up from dialup. Despite the phone companies main trunk line and tie in points are closser to my house than his. :confused:
They claim its due to the actual wire length from the central internet server to my place but I still question that. :mad:
Last summer the main trunk line washed out and got cut in half on their side of the road in my familys property. They did not have phone service for over a day. I still had it the whole time. I Only lost the online link comming from my brothers phone line. ;)

Hmm... Seems to me that the "phoney lines" source comes in from my side of the road not his. :p

1-5meg free? I envy you =) I wouldn't mind the latency if it were free =)
I gamed a bit, I get distraught over the pointlessness after awhile though, even if playing is fun, getting out of it.

On the 3rd April 2009 04:55 AM the original poster had 97 days to go expecting much improved Internet speeds. Considering this is 28 February 2012 I think we can assume 97 days have passed and then some. Since reading this thread a few days ago I have suffered sleepless nights worrying about this. :)

I just need to know?

Ron

Good thread. Most of the time we dredge something up to no avail. This one has merit. Hahahaha.

Laughing merit:)

kv

On the 3rd April 2009 04:55 AM the original poster had 97 days to go expecting much improved Internet speeds. Considering this is 28 February 2012 I think we can assume 97 days have passed and then some. Since reading this thread a few days ago I have suffered sleepless nights worrying about this. :)

I just need to know?

Ron
Ron, I too live in Johannesburg area, South Africa, and I'm sorry to say, but NO, unless you are very good friends with Bill Gates, (or have a finger in our corrupt government) fast internet as opposed to that what is available in America, is still not available to the masses here in South Africa.

We currently have only one “land line” of fixed line telephone service provider in RSA. This is the only company that can give you physical connection between your home and an Internet service provider. (Your typical telephone modem or ADSL connections). They supply ADSL speeds of 384, 1024, 4096 and 10240kbps. These options range in price from R349 ~ $46 to R2359 ~ $315 (R/$=R7.47/$1)

Another company has started laying down fiber optic cables to get it’s network backbone established, but that company has gone very quite over the last year or so. I don’t know if they are still active or even still exist?

There is an alternative here is RSA. Using one of our three Cell phone service providers to get wireless internet connection via your cell phone. This however is even more pricy than the fixed line options, and is mainly only available in the big metropolitan areas. Going into rural South Africa you sometimes battle just to get signal for the cell phone, let alone 1G, 3G or Edge.

Unfortunately, a monopoly is controlling our internet (and the government has a major share in this). Until such time that there can be competition the the monopoly, we as Joe Public will pay what the powers that be demand, and we WILL be happy with what we get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back