Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8-bit Variable Clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scubasteve

Hello,

I am trying to find an integrated solution to provide a 2KHz clock signal that can be divided down in ~8Hz steps (8-bit resolution) via a parallel 8-bit interface from a microcontroller. This will vary a stepper motor's speed proportional to the value of these 8bits..

I am willing to work with any interface (1-wire, I2C, SPI, parallel) to do this, but ideally, I would want to use a parallel control interface. I know I can do this on a FPGA, but it would be a little tedious for what I want out of it. ie. 8bit counter with 4KHz clock and AND gates for different combinations with an AND gate to control which frequency to use, then an OR gate on the output to one pin. I don't have a problem doing this, but there are too many pins on an FPGA that would suite this application.

I could use a DDS or a microcontroller for this.. I will look into that in the meantime of waiting for a reply. I know a micro can easily handle this, but I have not done a lot of work with them and I am not comfortable yet

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back