Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8-8it Vs 10 bit ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. An output has pulses that are as much as 0.01 volts. This value may come across as being insignificant but when reading certain sensors with an 8-bit Analogue to Digital converter, these pulses can change the 8-bit value as much as 2.

How will a 10 bit ADC improve this value? Just by providing better resolution?

If your 0.01 volt signal changes a 8 bit ADC by 2 then
it will change a 10 bit ADC by 8. (4x)

not just amplify the signal anyway?.
:eek:

lol Nooooooooooo, i Want to get RID of that 0.01V "spike" (output voltage from sensor) which results in noise/inaccurate readings. Sorry i was not clear in the problem statement. I know i should use a capacitor. I just wanted to know the affect on the measurements that result from using 10-bit ADC on output of a sensor as opposed to 8-bit ADC

Thanks.

:eek:

lol Nooooooooooo, i Want to get RID of that 0.01V "spike" (output voltage from sensor) which results in noise/inaccurate readings. Sorry i was not clear in the problem statement. I know i should use a capacitor. I just wanted to know the affect on the measurements that result from using 10-bit ADC on output of a sensor as opposed to 8-bit ADC

Fairly obviously, four times the resolution gives four times the change - the best way to get rid of it is at the source, if you can? - where is the spike coming from?.

You'll also need to ensure that your analog reference voltage is clean as well as the analog ground. Noise can enter into the ADC readings just as easily there as from the input pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back