Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

741 Op-Amp replacement? (IC that doesnt require -V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerTango

I have some projects that call for the LN741 Op-Amp, wanting to do some basic amplification, and some wave shaping in another project.

However this chip requires +V and -V to operate.

Ive searched, and found some virtual rail ICs, and some other Virtual Ground circuits for such an IC, but I am wondering if there is a "newer" Op-Amp that would be a good replacement for the 741 that only requires GND and +V?

Thank you for your time,
Andrew

I don't know how much newer this is but an LM324 is made for single supply operation. It has 4 op-amps in its 14 pin package and is dirt cheap. It's specs are better than the venerable 741 too. There are probably a dozen others that would work for you too.

Just looked at the pinout on both ICs, I see no reason I cant figure out how to use the quad.

Again, thank you so very much!

Andrew

Yeah, the 324/358 have a common-mode input range from 0V to Vdd-1.5V, and the outputs will swing from near ground to Vdd-1.2V, so if you try to run them on a single 5V supply, take that into consideration. They do better when operated from 9 to 12V. They are also about as slow as a 741.

Last edited:
hi Andrew,
I use the CA3140 as direct replacement for the 741.

Attachments

• AAesp04.gif
    AAesp04.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 393
ANY opamp will work from a single supply if its input is biased near half the supply voltage and input and output coupling capacitors are used.

A lousy old 741 opamp is 43 years old, is noisy (hiss) and has poor high frequency response (9kHz max at full output). it is spec's oNLY with a 30v suopply and some do not work when the supply is 10V or less.

A lousy old LM324 quad and its sister the LM358 dual are also noisy and have terrible crossover distortion. Their frequency response causes trouble above only 2kHz at full output.

I have used TL071 single, TL072 dual and TL074 quad opamps for many audio projects. They are used in many audio products so are mass produced which makes them inexpensive. Their minimum supply is 7V but I have used some in 9V battery-powered circuits and they still work well when the battery is dead at 6V. They are low noise, have very low distortion and work well at full output to 100kHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back