Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

74 series high connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

inktomi

Hi there.

There are some instances where I want to keep an input of a digital logic chip permanently high. Should I include a resistor between the supply and the pin? Also does it make any difference if it is an LS chip or a CMOS HC chip?

I've seen some with and without resistors. Which is the correct design?
I personally would think CMOS chips do not require a resistor (since the gate is insulated), while the LS series require one.

Thank you

You should be able to hold it high directly.

If you are going to pull it low at any time hold it high with a resistor.

Is the "drive line" (the line connected to the input of the chip) at the same voltage as the voltage on the chip you are taking HIGH?

A 74LSxxx input will float high but might pickup interference.
A Cmos input must not float but must be forced high or low with a resistor.

Fairchild AN-363 (Designing with TTL) has this to say (see attachment). I personally don't see much merit in either of their arguments for using resistors. Mike2545's reason is sound.

Attachments

• TTL inputs.PNG
    TTL inputs.PNG
    27.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back