Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

74 logic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomguy42

Hi I'm working with various dip 74HC Ics when repairing battery damage. Is there any rules or theory with going up a level to a 74HCT? I saw a board recently running these in place... which could add more options on the obsolete types.

Also is there a list or PDF of all 74 logic Descriptions?

Thanks

There is a difference, and it could be important to how the circuit functions or doesn't function. Note, this does not apply to Schmitt trigger input components.

The T in HCT stands for TTL. While an HC part has a normal CMOS input stage transition level of approx. Vcc/2, An HCT part has TTL transition levels: Below 0.8 V is a 0, above 2.4 V is a 1, and anything in-between is not allowed and has unpredictable effects on the output state. So while an HCT part would see 2.4 V as a 1, an HC part could see it as a 0. Not good.

In fact, old TTL parts have a single input transition level around 1.8 V, and CMOS ouptut stages go all the way up to 5 V (as opposed to TTL parts that swing up to only about 3.5 V), but I don't think you can bank on that without analyzing the full circuit schematic to see who is talking to what. I wouldn't.

AND ...

Some HC parts are rated for operation down to 2 or 3 volts, while HCT parts are limited to - wait for it - TTL power rails.

ak

Last edited:
Do a web search for the 'Texas Instruments Logic Guide' pamphlet, it has details of all the different TTL and CMOS versions. It's a 4.77Mb download, so I can't add it here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back