Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

6v/12v Motorcycle Battery Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

steptoe

Hi,

Can anybody help me with a circuit for a led-acid or sealed gel 6v and 12v motorcycle battery charger circuit, similiar to the one at given below would be ideal, but its only for 12v batteries

**broken link removed**

I have another very good one, that would be perfect for what I need, but getting some of the components from one source only is proving very difficult. I tried RS Componenets, but they don't do all them, and also Maplin electronics, but they don't do all of them either, also RS components mainly deal in bulk

If anybody could suggest how to make up the very low value resistors given in the circuit below, then I'll choose that one, as its exactly what I need to charge motorcycle batteries, which I have been advised need a lower charge rate than car batteries

**broken link removed**

Thanks for any help

Referring to the first circuit: I think you will need to drop the value of D2, from 6.8V to maybe 3.3V. Also, the value of R2/TR1 may need tweaking. I'll try simulate it and get back to you...

Parts for www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/lader.htm

Iv'e been browsing the RS and Maplin catalogues and seem to have found all the 'tricky' bits for your second circuit ...

Radio Spares :-------------------------- Order code - Price (EX VAT)
LM350 (TO3 case) ----------------------- 126-9216 -- £5.59
Heatsink (3.3C/W, pre-drilled for TO3)- 234-2485 -- £2.63

Maplin :---------------------------------- Order code - Price (Inc VAT)
MC1458 (same as LM1458 - dual 741) - QH46A ----- £0.49
BC558 low power PNP transistor -------- QQ17T ----- £0.08
0.1 ohm resistor #3Watt# --------------- W0.1 ------- £0.37 see below :idea:
-------------------- #7Watt# --------------- L0.1 -------- £0.33
5A 50v rectifier (P600A @ 6Amp) ------- UK59P ------ £0.49

The best transformer I can see in these two suppliers is Radio Spares:-
100VA chassis mounting with 2 off 9v windings (connected in series gives 18v)
order code 805-265 -- £12.54 Ex VAT

The rest is easy - all the RS bits I've listed are available in quantities of one, shopping around (in this case from two suppliers) is a way of life :roll: .

:idea: The low value resistor could be either of the two I've listed, the 7 Watt one is physically bigger but cheaper - if size matters then use the smaller one :shock: otherwise, save 4p :wink:
You could put ten 1 Ohm resistors in parallel (each carrying 1/10 of the 2 Watts = 0.2W) or twenty 2 Ohm (each 0.1W) or a hundred 10 Ohm --- but why bother? buy one, it's neater.
Everything else is listed!

steptoe said:
Hi,

Can anybody help me with a circuit for a led-acid or sealed gel 6v and 12v motorcycle battery charger circuit, similiar to the one at given below would be ideal, but its only for 12v batteries

**broken link removed**

I have another very good one, that would be perfect for what I need, but getting some of the components from one source only is proving very difficult. I tried RS Componenets, but they don't do all them, and also Maplin electronics, but they don't do all of them either, also RS components mainly deal in bulk

If anybody could suggest how to make up the very low value resistors given in the circuit below, then I'll choose that one, as its exactly what I need to charge motorcycle batteries, which I have been advised need a lower charge rate than car batteries

**broken link removed**

Thanks for any help

Try using this charger **broken link removed**
U can use for BC547 a 2n3904 or 2n4401
Use instead of BC557 a PNP power transistor able of delivering the necesary current (like BD244....i bought one for <0.5$)

Use a Ni-Cd charger on a Motorcycle battery ?

:rolleyes: Erm ?

That seems less than optimal.

The only "tricky" part in your first circuit is the 17V transformer, which can easily be susbsituted with the 18V mechie suggested for the 2nd circuit.

How big are your motorcycle batteries?

This circuit is designed for car batteries and will probably put far too much current into a motorcycle battery.

StopGo said:
Use a Ni-Cd charger on a Motorcycle battery ?

:rolleyes: Erm ?

That seems less than optimal.
Why not use a this NiCd charger for the Mot batery?
I can modify the curent given to the batery (to 1/10 of his rating) and set the off voltage. I meen the acid batery is more robust, no?
No memory efect etc.

Hero999 said:
The only "tricky" part in your first circuit is the 17V transformer, which can easily be susbsituted with the 18V mechie suggested for the 2nd circuit.

This circuit is designed for car batteries and will probably put far too much current into a motorcycle battery.
Th fro the tip.
I was recomanding the one at **broken link removed**

Hero999 said:

May bat are like 4Ah....and "th for the tip":)

what about if I want make modification for the circuit to Charge 2 batteries in series so I need 24 Volt charger....! please help me

in that site only just move a page back(u posted) and have a look at automobile circuits section.u'll find what u want **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back