Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

6 Volt input to a Pic running on 3V

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Steveo

I woundering if it is ok to get a 6 volt input to a pic running at 3 volts?
I plan on center taping a 4 C cell holder for the 3 volts.
One circut needs 6 volts and the other circuit and pic needs 3volts

Thanks ahead

Steveo

1Steveo said:
I woundering if it is ok to get a 6 volt input to a pic running at 3 volts?
I plan on center taping a 4 C cell holder for the 3 volts.
One circut needs 6 volts and the other circuit and pic needs 3volts

Simply feed the input to the PIC via a current limiting resistor, the inbuilt protection diode in the PIC will clip the input at 3V.

Or, you could use a simple two resistor potential divider to convert from 6V to 3V.

Or, you could feed the PIC off the 6V supply, most PIC's are quite happy on 6V.

Use a reg, center tapping doesn't discharge the batteries evenly. Actually, why do you want to drive the PIC with 3V when you've got 6V available?

Be aware that the current from the 6V source, though limited by a resistor, goes straight into the Vcc rail. It will raise Vdd some, depending on how much loads down that rail. It can make ADC less accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back