Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5v regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makaram

Hey guys, having my first attempt at setting up a pic16f84a and am planning on using this 5v regulator

**broken link removed**

sourced from a 9v battery pack. Now I understand that I must be careful about voltage drop from the batteries, my question is regards to the circuit and the difference between the one I've provided and the 99348832727squillion more complex alternatives.

p.s. anyone know offhand pic16f84a current draw

A PIC draws little current only.

Actual current draw depends on PIC outputs, e.g. connecting an LED directly to an output pin and operate it at nominal current of 20mA the PIC must sink or source that current.

So it's not the PIC which is decisive for total current flow. It's the entire circuit.

Boncuk

That's fine, what's the problem?

The 16F only pulls 10ma @ 20mhz, 3 @ 4mhz, 15µa @ 32khz, and about 1µa in "SLEEP" mode. The 7805 can deliver an amp.

sorry I threw you guys off with the pic16f part, I'm meaning to ask what's the difference between this simple regulator and a more complex one? this one will do the trick?

sorry I threw you guys off with the pic16f part, I'm meaning to ask what's the difference between this simple regulator and a more complex one? this one will do the trick?

7805's are standard affair for 5v linear regulators :)

It will work fine and is very common.

The voltage of a 9V battery quickly drops to 7.2V then slowly drops to 6V when it is considered to be dead. But an old 7805 voltage regulator fails to regulate when its input drops to about 7V.
I always use a modern low-dropout 5V regulator with my 9V battery powered circuits. It regulates perfectly until the battery drops below 5.5V.

These days I just rip the guts out of an "emergency cell phone charger". Runs on 1 AA battery and runs it flat, gives you a regulated +5V, uses a switching regulator for high efficiency, and is dirt cheap and prewired with a battery holder to boot.

Got any suggestions audio? I wasn't planning on using a single 9 v bat but rather 6 aa. thanks again for all the help

6AA alkaline cells produce 9.6V when new then the voltage quickly drops to 7.2V then slowly drops to 6V when they are presumed to be dead.
But an old 7805 regulator fails to regulate when its input drops to about 7V. So again, USE A LOW-DROPOUT 5V REGULATOR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back