Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 timer output to small

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlt57sooner

I have a 555 timer set to create a 40 kHz square wave but the voltage pk-pk is to small. What is the best way to increase the Vpk-pk without distorting the square wave.

The output should be the same amplitude as the supply voltage. e.g. with a 12V supply should get an output amplitude of 0 to almost 12 volts.

If your output is less than the supply rail explain how you have got the 555 wired up - and state your supply voltage and the actual amplitude you see.

Voltage Supply

I only have a 5 volt supply. I there anyway I can amplify the square wave after it has come out of the 555?

Re: Voltage Supply

mlt57sooner said:
I only have a 5 volt supply. I there anyway I can amplify the square wave after it has come out of the 555?

Yes, but you really require a larger supply voltage to make it easy, otherwise you could use a transformer (to give any voltage you want), or a bridged amplifier (which would give about double the voltage out).

But you really need to tell us EXACTLY what you are doing, you are being far too vague about it, so answers can only be vague as well!.

I'm presuming?, based on the frequency, and the desire for a higher p-p output, that you are building an ultrasonic transmitter?.

A Cmos 555 can provide a 5Vp-p output swing with a light load.
The spec for an ordinary 555's output high voltage isn't very high:

Attachments

• lm555.gif
    lm555.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 354
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back