Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 timer causing PIC to reset

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could put a 1/2 second startup delay in the PIC code, it's generally a good idea for a lot of circuits. That way if something causes a PIC reset you will see a very obvious 1/2 second pause.

Alrighty gents I finally got around to slapping some big caps on this circuit because I'm hooking it up to my 3 phase mains in my barn and right now i'm about to flip the swit%+@$%&

[NO CARRIER]

added a 470 to the input side of the 7805, a 10 to the output side a couple of 10uf tantalum caps to the PIC and a 470 close to the 555 timer.

changed the code in the pic to flash the decimal point twice before the loop (which counts from 0-9) and everything is working well, no random restarts and the seven seg is quite a bit brighter than before. I wonder if is also has to do with the different PIC on the breadboard. Went from a 876a to a 877. I can't program the first one anymore, might have fried something. With no decoupling caps, guess i'm not surprised.

thanks for all the help gents!

Why are you using a 555 as well as a PIC?

Can't you program the PIC to flash some LEDs as well?

yup... you're right. I was playing with a 555 at some point and just left it on the breadboard. Just messin' around. But having it on there, did help me to learn something practical with decoupling caps. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back