Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

512Hz Mini Transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

socal619td

Hi all. Newbie here. I was wondering if anyone knows of a project kit where I can make a super small 512Hz transmitter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you trying to do a datalink ?
Full or half duplex ?
Data rate needed ?
Distance needed ?
Mesh, Star, or point to point application ?

Regards, Dana.

512Hz transmitter
What?

512Hz is a very very low frequency for a radio transmitter, I assume that you mean a radio transmitter.

A radio transmitter on such a low frequency is not a practical proposition for a simple project.

Please re-consider the frequency.

JimB

A half wave transmitting antenna would be ≈ 293,000 meters long which is about 182 miles long. AFAIK nos such antennas exist anywhere in this universe.

I'm sorry for not being as clear as I could have been. This project would be used as a mini sonde for locating leaks in pool plumbing. I have a receiver already. The problem is that most of the transmitters on the market are too large. Battery size probably has a lot to do with this but I have seen some with button batteries. 3 to 5 feet is about the common depth that the pipes would be located.
Tony D

This is a commercial one:

I'd guess it's a pulsed oscillator similar to a BT 87 "knocker" cable locator, but driving a coil fitted around the electronics?

They appear to be strictly pipe location, I don't see how they work in leak detection?
Thank you for your time. I've seen these. They are popular but too large to be practical in pool plumbing that frequently uses 1 to 1-1/2 inch return lines.
People often will attach a 512Hz transmitter near the hydrophone. This is how the location of leak in pipe is found. Having said this, there are hydrophones with built in transmitters too. Very expensive. I was just looking for an alternative.

Thank you for your time. I've seen these. They are popular but too large to be practical in pool plumbing that frequently uses 1 to 1-1/2 inch return lines.
People often will attach a 512Hz transmitter near the hydrophone. This is how the location of leak in pipe is found. Having said this, there are hydrophones with built in transmitters too. Very expensive. I was just looking for an alternative.

I'm also dubious how it can find leaks?, it appears to just be a pipe location system?.

I work as a supplier to the water industry, and there are various leak detection systems - but nothing that works like this.

The only thing I can imagine, is that the sensor is a fairly 'tight' fit in the pipe, and you slide it through the pipe while monitoring the amount of water going through it. The bulk of the sensor will restrict the water flow and lower the amount of water going through - until it's just past the leak, when the full flow will resume. You can then pull it back slightly, until it's partially restricting the flow, then use the receiver to detect it's location from above.

This is a thread I'll keep my eye on. I know low frequency is used by cavers (spelunkers?) as it can penetrate rock but I also imagine that transmitting at an audio frequency will require great power to get any distance. Anyone know the frequency used by cavers?

Mike.

This is a thread I'll keep my eye on. I know low frequency is used by cavers (spelunkers?) as it can penetrate rock but I also imagine that transmitting at an audio frequency will require great power to get any distance. Anyone know the frequency used by cavers?

Mike.

Funnily enough, we're friends at work with one of local cave rescue guys (at work we both used to be cavers) - there's been some talk about him bringing us some gear to look at, and to see if we can make cheaper versions for them.

Point of my earlier comment is protocols can achieve reasonable
power at low freq communication. So makes one wonder with their
protocol development if same can be applied to 512 Hz.....Clearly
one would expect the physical principles still apply.....

9 Khz - https://www.arrl.org/lf-low-frequency

So a little over another order of magnitude lower.....,. the 9 Khz done with 400W.

Here some stuff done with mW and uW power levels, down to 1 uHz - http://abelian.org/vlf/amateur-radio/

Sacrifice of course is data rate in these protocols.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back