Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

50 Watt Amp Power Supply Critique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnson777717

Hey folks!
I'm trying to come up with a power supply for a 50 watt amp that I'm building. The Amp recommended input voltage is +- 29 volts, maximum +- 44volts. I'm not sure how much current the amp will draw, because the datasheet doesn't explicitly tell me so. I won't be driving the amp very hard because I'm only using it for my computer sound system. I have 6 speakers that I want to run from the computer, but the computer doesn't have enough power to push all 6 speakers without distorting at medium to high decibel levels. Thus, I'm creating this amp. Nothing special really, just using a STK4152II Stereo Amp that I got from a stereo with a broken CD player.

Anyway, as stated, I'm trying to design a PS for the amp. Will this circuit work? I've redrawn a design by Elliott Sound Products, included the 2200uF caps in parallel instead of 4700uF caps (I don't have these 4700 uf caps so i'm improvising.) Will this work? Does anyone have any suggestions for improvement?

Thank you very much for your support! Have a great day!

Heres the schematic

Attachments

• Amp_PS.GIF
    Amp_PS.GIF
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,272
The transformer should be centre tapped, with the tap going to the middle of the two capacitors (as it is in the original circuit). You also don't need the second bridge rectifier, it's for preventing ground loops in PA setups.

As mentioned previously, two single 2200uF capacitors will probably be fine, but more capacitance is always good.

I hope you're not planning using computer speakers with this, a 50W amplifier is likely to blow them to pieces - the ratings on them are usually a work of complete fiction!.

Thanks for the reply guys. The speakers that I have are 8 ohm, 6" speakers rated at 60watts, so I think we'll be okay. Nigel, thanks for checking though, I appreciate your concern. :D

I suppose that I need to go get a center tapped transformer. I was hoping that I could get away without using a CT transformer.

Thanks for your help guys!

Johnson777717 said:
Thanks for the reply guys. The speakers that I have are 8 ohm, 6" speakers rated at 60watts, so I think we'll be okay. Nigel, thanks for checking though, I appreciate your concern. :D

Just making sure :lol: you see so many computer speakers which say '400W' or '200W' on them (but use 3" drivers with 3W stamped on the magnet!).

I suppose that I need to go get a center tapped transformer. I was hoping that I could get away without using a CT transformer.

It 'may' be possible, but would require a redesign of the amplifier (assuming the STK could be configured that way) - I really don't advise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back